Friday, January 24, 2014


Fabulous Fridays - Bullet Proof



I recently had the exciting opportunity to be interviewed by Modern Luxury Texas Interiors.  It began as a discussion as to why my business has landed here in Houston and what my plans are for 2014.  What it ended with was a discussion regarding tricks to make a home both elegant and kid proof; my area of expertise if I am pressed to say.

Believe me it is possible.  I am fortunate enough to work with such lovely young families that need spaces that are aesthetically impressive for entertaining but can feel like home for their children and pets the remainder of the week...



I thought it may be helpful to elaborate on some of the hints I gave via this interview...



*
You can use outdoor fabrics on virtually any piece you are having upholstered.  This can be especially useful in either the dining room or kitchen for obvious reasons.  
I used a Holly Hunt Great Outdoors fabric on these custom chairs from The Shop NY and what resulted was the look of sumptuous mohair.







Using these fabrics does not necessarily mean that you have to create a piece that is completely custom.  In fact, I just ordered a yard of Perennials fabric through Pottery Barn to reupholster my breakfast bench from Target for a total of $75.  Their fabrics are incredibly durable (my neighbor even uses 409 to clean hers) and most have the feel of soft linen.  I love that Pottery Barn has made a few of the colorways available to everyone.





**
Put your "wow" factor away from the action.  I often use lighting as my wow factor in spaces and this can create such drama and no worries.  



Sconces by Moth Design

Chandelier by Gregorius Pineo



Scones by Emily Todhunter via George Smith



***
Use art and wall decor.  This could easily be listed at number 1 I suppose since any one of us could walk into a gallery and be mesmerized by a piece of art and see nothing else.  I approach design from a more functional standpoint but that doesn't mean that art doesn't create a critical and necessary discussion.  As a cheaper alternative I have created custom floor to ceiling mirrors (about 5' wide by 8' high) in spaces to add drama as well.



















No comments:

Post a Comment