Friday, December 6, 2013


Fabulous Fridays - Cookies!


I call myself a stress baker.  There really isn't any other way to describe it.  It really sounds better than calling myself a stress eater (which I also am)...it seems more productive, no?  So you can guarantee that during this busy holiday season there will be extra baking going on in my house.  The kids and I will begin this weekend; I am letting all four pick a cookie to make for the holidays as we have friends and family in and around the house.  Below are my favorite basic recipes that will get us started...hope you enjoy!






My favorite cookie right now is a twist on the traditional chocolate chip.  Laura Bush's Cowboy Cookie recipe is the best of all sweets combined in my opinion...rich chocolate and coconut.  I bake these in bar form so that they are extra chewy.  They make plenty for a crowd. 







These are another take on chocolate chip - this time with the festive addition of cherries.  Cherry Double Chocolate Chip from Gourmet Magazine.






These aren't exactly cookies but they are close enough in my mind and still fun for the holidays.  This recipe for Mixed Berry Chocolates is from Bon Appetit.








Finally I am adding my sister in law's recipe for traditional sugar cookies.  These make such a delicious dough perfect for however you choose to decorate.



Cream:
1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar
1 cup of butter

Then add:
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. almond flavoring

Mix together the following then add to above:
2 1/2 cups of flour
1 tsp. of baking soda
1 tsp. of cream of tartar

After mixing dough, refrigerate for 2 hours.  Roll out on floured counter top until 1/4 inch thick.  Bake at 375 for 8 minutes and decorate when cool.



No comments:

Post a Comment